Friday 13 November 2015

The work so far

I have now been working on the drawing for three weeks (not constant due to family commitments) and whilst the work is slowly growing, my feelings are very mixed about the piece. 


My busy work station

Right front of casket in hoop

Right front of the original Elizabethan Casket

Whilst I feel that the work is really representing the image, I keep asking myself if copying another drawing will work. My previous drawings that represented mechanical objects worked well because of the obvious contrast between metal and thread, the masculine and the feminine but reproducing thread drawings in more stitch leaves me asking questions. But, that is also good - work needs to be questioned; simply producing a well executed image is not enough if it isn't making a statement or engaging the viewer in a dialogue. 

I do have two good reasons for the work that suggest that I should continue with the next piece. Firstly, I am reproducing their story, just as the young Elizabethan girls were doing 500 years ago (stump work often told contemporary stories). I don't have the whole story and have to fill in the missing spaces, i.e. the damaged wood and the broken threads. Secondly, it is damaged but still beautiful and I hope that this might be seen in the final piece. 

This piece and the lid are the most damaged pieces of the casket; what will happen when I copy the more completed panels?

No comments:

Post a Comment