Friday 27 November 2015

Stuart stumpwork casket - first finished piece

I have now finished the first piece of the Stuart stumpwork box.



I now feel happier with this project - I think it is really useful for me to make something quite different to the mechanical and masculine images that I normally do and love.  A  mechanical drawing in stitch just works due to the surprise caused by the contrast in subject and medium; this is a recreation of a feminine form in a feminine medium but, it is also a homage to the young ladies who made the original drawings and it is lovely to capture the fragility. But, the work is harder to do - the detail is finer and  this small piece has taken nearly four and a half weeks to complete.

I am now at Knit and Stitch - so no time to work but plenty of opportunity to talk about my ideas with the public. I feel that this is such an important thing to do and truly lovely - talking about your work with members of the public who have so many interesting points of views as well as their own personal stories of exploring the world of creativity.

No comments:

Post a Comment