Sunday 1 May 2016

Valor Drinking Chocolate

I have finally finished this drawing - it has taken quite a long time due to illness. The drawing is made with the same technique, obsessive stitching with marathon embroidery threads on vilene solufleece (a dissolvable fabric) which is removed in the final stage. 


Valor Drinking Chocolate, Julie Heaton 2016


I have mixed views about this piece; whilst it was fun to make and it perfectly reflects lovely memories of the boys sitting at home with large mugs of luscious hot chocolate, topped with marshmallows and cream, I can't help but crave my usual grittier subjects.

This week I discovered  Michelle Hamer in 'Embroidery Magazine'. Hamer's documentary photographs are recreated with wool on plastic grids in a painterly way. The images have an architectural sense and are not typical for the medium. Hamer states that she enjoys capturing messages from 'the in-between spaces'.


Michelle Hamer, 'What Makes You Happy' 2009


Michelle Hamer, 'Changed Priorities Ahead (detail) , 2015



Yesterday I was on walking down Park Street in Bristol. My aim was to collect images from one street location and use them for inspiration for some small embroidered drawings for cards to sell at 'Art in Action'. I prefer urban decay and damage, not evident to passer-byes; the interesting patterns and the unexpected material that can be used for embroidery.





No comments:

Post a Comment